Rocky 2

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bottom Feeding is not What's It's Cracked up to Be!

Dear Fans,

Since I've been a young pup in April 26, 2006 and my mommy got me in August 26, 2006 I have slowly been known to be a dog that looks all over the floor, ground and anywhere I can for extra scraps of food, bits of dust, anything that remotely looks like something I can eat.

My mom as of late has referred to me in the last year as a true "Bottom Feeder".  I know shell fish are known for this habit such as shrimp, crab and lobster and it's not truly a good trait.  It means we "scrape from the bottom" to find things to eat.

I know she has been frustrated with me as I'm very short, have a small nose, so I constantly stop her on our walks or when I'm in a new home or place of business to sniff everything on the floor. 

Well, the other day, this habit of bottom feeding "did me in"!  I ended up getting very sick to my stomach,  throwing up and then my body was shaking from head to toe! Mommy went into high alert and panic mode. She called a couple Vets and they were totally backed up. Then, she whisked me away in the back seat of her car and drove as fast as she could without breaking the speed limit. She was about to turn on Sepulveda and go to an emergency hospital much further down the street, when she remembered a great vet a Sinai Animal Hospital on Venice Blvd.  She veered out of the left lane, sped down the street and went in and out of local streets to try to turn on the right one.  She stopped traffic as she had to parallel park  on a tiny street and then held me tightly and ran into the vet.

My new 24 pound physique was quite a bundle to carry for a block. She was huffing and puffing and spewing the words out about" here's Rocky! He is having trouble breathing and shaking and sick to his stomach"!  They were excellent. They took him quickly to get me oxygin. Then, proceeded to do a full set up Xrays and blood tests.

Mommy knew the vet as he owns 4 French Bull Dogs. They began a rapport and he showed her photos on his screen saver of his latest Frenchie girl who is a new champion and about 15 months old. Mommy mentioned she has some ability left to breed me at least one more time as she saved my  sperm in the Valley at a special place.  He seemed a bit more interested as he said" Rocky looks better and is more filled out"!  I was declared an excellent patient.  They looked at the Xrays and found loads of gas pockets in my stomach and some dark lining indicating a swallowed some food or something stuck in my tummy!  Fortunately it wasn't big.  They gave me two shots to coat my  stomach, two sets of pills to take home.  $381.00 later I came home still feeling queasy and not eating.
Mommy watched me closely for two days and forced me to take the pills. By the second day I was much better and eating rice and a bit of normal dog food!  Darn it! So boring!  I was about to put my "nose to the grindstone" and grab a crumb that fell on the floor when mommy screamed" Nooooooooooooooo!"  I looked up sheepishly and realized old habits die hard and so a bottom feeder I will be but try to be more careful with what I catch in my mouth!

Until we meet again!

xoxo
Rocky the Angel Therapy Dog
gillmeri@earthlink

No comments: